Toggl OÜ has built a browser extension that lets you integrate their time tracking system, called Toggl, with YouTrack. This integration is compatible with YouTrack Standalone installations as well as YouTrack InCloud instances.
The Toggl Button: Productivity & Time Tracker extension adds a timer to any web tool. The extension lets you track your productivity in real time and store the data in your Toggl account. The integration itself must be enabled separately for each user who wants to enable the supported functionality.
When enabled, this integration adds a Start timer button to issue views in YouTrack. For example, here's what the Start timer button looks like in the view for single issues:
The integration also adds this control to each card on an agile board:
To integrate Toggl with YouTrack:
First, install the Toggl Button: Productivity & Time Tracker in your web browser. Toggl has an extension for Chrome and an add-on for Firefox.
Next, grant the extension authorization to access your YouTrack installation. Open the extension settings and navigate to the Integrations page.
- If you're working with a YouTrack InCloud instance that is hosted on the myjetbrains domain, select the YouTrack - myjetbrains.com option in the Integrations section of the page.
- If you're working with a YouTrack Standalone installation or an InCloud instance that is hosted on a custom domain, enter the URL for your installation/custom domain, select the YouTrack integration from the drop-down list, then click Add.
Your web browser will ask you to confirm whether you want to grant additional permissions to the extension.
To finish the setup, click Allow.
- Your YouTrack installation is added to the list of websites that can be updated by Toggl.
- The Toggl button is added to issue views in YouTrack.
Using the Toggl Extension
The Toggl extension lets you track the amount of time that you spend working on issues in YouTrack. The extension requires that you are logged in to your Toggl account.
To start tracking time, open an issue in YouTrack, then click the Start timer button.
The issue ID and summary are added to the time entry automatically. If you use Toggl to allocate work to different projects, you can choose the project directly in the dialog for the time entry and can add tags as well.
To stop the timer, open the Toggl Button control in the toolbar of your browser and click the Stop button.
You can also stop the timer directly in your Toggl account. The time spent is logged in your Toggl account.
Each time entry is listed on the Timer page.
Here are some additional tips for using the integration:
- The projects in YouTrack are not synced with projects in Toggl. This means that you can assign time entries to any project in Toggl independent from their project assignments in YouTrack.
- The Toggl browser extension does not sync with the time tracking feature in YouTrack.
Latest Verified Version
The integration between YouTrack and Toggl is built and supported by Toggl OÜ. The setup and functionality that are described here were verified by a member of the YouTrack team in the following software environment:
- YouTrack version 2019.3.65502 (Standalone)
- YouTrack version 2019.3.65327 (InCloud)
- Toggl Button: Productivity & Time Tracker for Chrome, version 1.59.3
- Google Chrome version 79.0.3945.130
If you experience problems with this integration when using the latest version of either YouTrack or Toggl, please report them here.
At the same time, if you are able to set up this integration successfully with later versions of either app in any environment, we'd love to hear about it. Feel free to describe any challenges you encountered in the comments below.