Okay, since I'm not seeing an outcry about this, I assume it's just me. I'm trying to do some custom workflows, but the editor is proving to be a real PITA. Some examples of the types of things I'm running into:
- I never know what's going to happen when I press delete or return. Delete may delete a character or an entire block, and return may go to the next line or skip down after the block I'm on.
- I had one rule that showed syntax errors in the editor where there weren't any but still worked properly in YT, and another that showed no errors in the editor but was broken on the server.
- I have two rules that have the same content, but one of them is mostly in red and shows the error "Warning: Type e12 was not calculated." Not a clue what that means, though.
- I stumble with how to do basic editing. For example, I have yet to figure out how to turn an existing if-block into an if-else-block without losing code, and I can't even select text for bulk deletion.
- Copy-and-paste is MIA, as are, apparently, features like moving a rule from one workflow to another. So, I end up spending a lot of time retyping things I've already typed elsewhere. Which sometimes works and sometimes doesn't.
- When I stumbled on a post somewhere that documented a hidden workflow rename function, I tried it out and it worked, but when I tried to change the name back to the original, it wouldn't let me - said it wasn't a valid Java class name. Not sure why I was able to use it to begin with; maybe this is why the rename feature is still hidden.
- Completion doesn't offer anything useful on variables.
- At times, I simply can't type what I'm trying to type, even if I know it's correct. For example, yesterday, I had an uninitialized variable named user, and I was trying to type "user = issue.Assignee;", but I couldn't get past the = character without either completion getting in the way and then removing what I'd typed when it didn't offer what I needed, or the next character simply being auto-deleted right after typing it. It's almost like the editor expects me to type content in the form of syntactically valid blocks rather than individual characters and words that eventually combine into syntactically valid blocks.
I could go on and on, but I think that's enough to make my point. Obviously, the editor is a fairly low-level affair, but wow, it sure is a frustrating experience. But then, I've not found even a single similar complaint, so I can't help but think that something simply is not right on my end. Any ideas or experiences that others may share? I think workflows are one of YouTrack's greatest features, so I really want to take full advantage of them.
FWIW, I'm running the editor on Mac OS X 10.7.5 with Java 1.6.0_37. (I actually have the latest Java 1.7 from Oracle installed, but I can't figure out how to get applications like PhpStorm or the YouTrack workflow editor to use it versus Apple's 1.6 version.)